Day of the Week Mission Calls are Issued and Mailed Out

Two very common questions I get about the LDS mission call process are:

• What day of the week does the apostle meet and make the mission assignments for young people?
  • What day of the week does the mission call letter and packet get mailed out to young people?

The answer to both of these questions is that it depends. Let me explain.

What day of the week does the apostle meet?

mormon prophet and first presidencyThis question has reference to the missionary call assignment meeting held weekly in which one of the apostles presides and reviews new missionary applications and makes mission assignments. President Henry B. Eyring once spoke about this process when he was explaining how each call is inspired. Elder Ronald A. Rasband also explained this process and how missionaries are called by God in his April 2010 General Conference talk.

In most weeks, the member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will meet and make these call assignments on Friday. But depending on their schedule, that day can vary. Thursdays are the second most common day in which they meet, but it’s not unheard of for them to make the assignments on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

What day of the week does the mission call letter go out?

The day that the mission call letter is mailed out depends on the day of the week the called was issued. On most weeks, the call packets gets to the Church headquarters mail room on Tuesday. But other factors can cause this to vary based on individual missionary and mission circumstances, holiday schedules, and if translation needs to be involved. Because Tuesday is the most likely day for the call packets to be mailed out, those living near Salt Lake City, will usually receive it one day later, on Wednesday.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

90 replies
  1. Joseph Davison
    Joseph Davison says:

I put my papers in two and a half weeks ago. According to my bishop, the assignment was made last Friday. Today is Tuesday, and I live in Provo. I will be spending my day tomorrow anxiously staring out the window waiting for the mailman to come.

2. Michael
    Michael says:

How do you get this information? Is it made available to members of the church? I am waiting on my call, and have heard many conflicting ideas about when they meet to assign, when the call goes out and when you get it. My stake president says they usually meet to assign on Thursday.

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

My source is a friend who works in the Missionary Department of the Church. As I state above, the day of the week is not set in stone and does vary. And also please remember that none of the information on this site should be construed as official from the Church. I do my best to provide accurate information, but neither I nor this site is an official spokesperson of the LDS Church. Good luck, and God bless.

• muli cocker
        muli cocker says:

I have a question my missiin call status says in the process of an assignment to be made that was on monday so what does that mean exactly

3. Joseph Forbush
    Joseph Forbush says:

My name is Joseph Forbush. I sent my papers last Tuesday but Salt Lake City received them on Thursday (1/24/13). I am so excited and can’t sleep a whole night without thinking about when mission call is going to come in the mail and what it says! I wondering when you guys think I might receive my mission papers in the mail. In your personal most exact opinion, what day or week do you think my mission papers will arrive in the mail?

Example: Tell me the day, date, and week you expect my call to arrive. I live in Michigan…if this helps at all!

• Matthew Kruse
      Matthew Kruse says:

I put my Mission Papers in and met with my Stake Pres. Almost eight weeks ago, four weeks ago I got word that they are in Salt Lake and they needed some information cleared up (which I did four weeks ago) my Stake Pres hasn’t told me anything else, so I take it that all is cleared up. Any thoughts on why it is taking so long?

• K. Outzen
      K. Outzen says:

@Joseph Forbush: DID YOU GET YOUR CALL YET? If so, where are you going?
      My hubby was a bishop a yr & a half ago. He sent out about 8 or 10 missionaries (a LOT for our ward) and watched the process online ea. time. Just like when byu students watch their application, the “status” of the app changes when it is registered at different points. If I remember right, when it is received in slc, call issued, etc. As I have seen before, it seems the calls are often issued on a Thurs., and processed for mail on Fri. afternoon.
      We live in VA, so it takes about the same time as Michigan or even a day longer to get our mail. They usually get there either Tues. Wed. Thurs. of the 3rd week (2 1/2 wks).
      Which should be yesterday/TODAY/or tomorrow…if the pattern holds now w/all these new younger applicants.

4. Emmanuel Abel
    Emmanuel Abel says:

i live in uganda east africa and will be putting in my call next week ,when should i xpect to get it back ..thank you

5. Ali
    Ali says:

Super Anxious Mom here! Stake Pres. submitted son’s call on Monday.. Do you think it could be here as early as the end of next week? We are having a “opening party” with all our friends and neighbors, most of which are non members. Everyone is exited!
    We live Georgia.

6. Ma'ake Hautau
    Ma'ake Hautau says:

I’m really anxious right now, my bishop submitted my papers two weeks ago, will I get my mission this week? I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

7. Ma'ake Hautau
    Ma'ake Hautau says:

It’s been almost three or four weeks and I haven’t received my mission call, what should I do? SLC, UTAH..

8. Vanessa
    Vanessa says:

I sent out my mission last thursday which was the 27th of June. I live in Idaho, I was told that the mission calls usually arrived on a thursday here in Idaho so with the holiday 4th of July can it arrive on a friday or will it just have to wait until the 10th or 11th? please answer a little confused. Thanks

9. muli cocker
    muli cocker says:

is it possible for the missionary canidate to call the mission dept to check on the status of the call.i submitted my papers last monday 7/1/13.im pretty sure they are on their way here.jus so anxieous.

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

I’m not sure. I think the Church would prefer for you to wait patiently. If you used the online missionary recommendation system, I believe you can see where your application is in the process. Otherwise, if you feel there is a major delay, talk to your stake president and he can call the missionary department at Church headquarters. Good luck and God bless.

• Audrie Barnes
      Audrie Barnes says:

If yoi contact your bishop, he’s able to see the status of your call, whether it’s in progress, assigned, or shipped.

10. Audrie Barnes
    Audrie Barnes says:

So my mission papers were all processed this week, or should have been because they had to call me about something and said they were going through. But, when my bishop checked today (Friday) at 9 p.m., the status was still “In Progress.” Is there any chance it’ll be assigned on Monday? Thanks!

11. Sarah Boaden
    Sarah Boaden says:

Hi! I found out that my mission call was made on the 26th July, I was wondering if you knew how long it would take to get my call back in the mail. I live in Australia if that helps at all! Cheers

12. leroy
    leroy says:

where is appropriate to open your packet? I understand the traditional answer but i am wanting to know if it is not appropriate to open it at church.

• Family
      Family says:

Sariah, I’m curious when you finally received your mission call in the mail. Anxiously awaiting my sons now. We were also told by stake pres that the call was extended last Friday. Where are you serving and when?

13. samuel Burrell
    samuel Burrell says:

Hello i have a question about the online system i had my mission papers sent in via computer over a week ago will it show it was shiped to my house or say it was submitted and that is it the stake president has already sent it in to headquarters so?

14. Jared Constantine
    Jared Constantine says:

Hey Jimmy, love the site and info. Just one question to clarify things: The stake president submitted my papers a couple days ago, on Tuesday, so the apostle should review my papers and make the assignment on Friday like you said. But will the packet get to the mail room the following Tuesday or a week after on Tuesday? You or anybody else can post the answer or email me personally if possible please. Thanks!

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

The packet will get to the mail room the Tuesday after that call is made.
      But what is less certain is if they will be reviewing your paperwork the Friday after you submit it. If, for example, there have been a lot of submissions, there could be a back log, so it might not be until the following Friday before they get to your paperwork. Good luck, and God bless.

15. Hector Calderon
    Hector Calderon says:

I’m from Mexico, I submitted my papers over 1 month ago, but my stake president forgot to mail them to SLC, he also said this very Wednesday I was going to be assigned, I’m super excited and wait to get my call in 2 or 3 weeks from now.

16. Gerald
    Gerald says:

Hello jimmy! I so much appreciate d way n manner u give answers to question. Kudos! Pls i want to knw my mission call status. I submitted it last month*august 2014!

17. Jason
    Jason says:

So, my bishop said my status changed to ‘assignment made’ today. It’s a Tuesday, so I’m curious when I should expect to see my call packet- like when should the packet be in the mail room?

18. McKay
    McKay says:

Hello, I love reading all the great posts on this website. I had my Stake President meeting today, and my papers are officially submitted! I hope to get them real soon, hopefully a week from Wednesday! I’ll patiently wait, but I just want to keep everyone updated with when my call comes and where I will serve.

• McKay Fackrell
            McKay Fackrell says:

We got our calls this morning and opened them up this evening. We fliiped a coin to see who would go first and my twin brother was the lucky one! He is going to the Australia Brisbane Mission, reporting to the Provo MTC on March 18th and will be speaking Mandarin Chinese! I am going to the Australia Melbourne Mission, reporting to the Provo MTC on March 18th and and will be speaking Mandarin Chinese!

19. maria
    maria says:

cual es el perfil para ser llamada a mision de la manzana del templo.
    Y teniendo asma es verdad que te llaman en tu propio pais?

20. Susu Joseph Jnr
    Susu Joseph Jnr says:

I’m from Ghana …and i have submitted my forms almost a month and 2weeks ago. and my call is still not in.. I’m also curious to know when I should expect to see my call packet..

21. Susu Joseph Jnr
    Susu Joseph Jnr says:

hello …i also took my form around May 2014 and i started filling it….. on my form the day of available for service i wrote 14th June 2014….and i submitted my form later in November 4, 2014….but forget to change it..
    Please what happens to my forms ..is it going to be change to June 2015??

i also want to go and serve soon..plz i need help

22. Bruce
    Bruce says:

We have a young man from northern Utah who’s papers were electronically submitted to church HQ Tuesday Feb 24. It showed ‘in process’ that morning and changed to ‘ready for assignment’ by that afternoon (no paperwork problems). Hoped he’d be in the selection group that Friday, and out the mailroom Tuesday for a Thursday opening. Didn’t happen that week, so we thought for sure he’d be getting it the next week. No change again. Still shows ‘ready for assignment’ after 2 selection weeks and mailroom days. His availability date was just within the 120 limit when he submitted, so maybe they don’t go first in/first out like I assumed. Do you know, or can you ask your contacts in the missionary department if others that put their papers in later, but with earlier availability dates, are bumped to the top of the stack?

• Bruce
        Bruce says:

I guess I’ll answer my own question in hopes that current info may help others who are going through this process. The status that I mention (In process, Ready for assignment, Assignment made) is something that your Bishop, Stake President, or even ward clerk can easily check on the computer or even their smartphone any time. See my above posts for the full timeline starting back on Tuesday Feb 24th when the paperwork indicated that it was with church HQ and initially ‘In Process’ and later that day ‘Ready for assignment’. That is the way it stayed for a full month. After 3 weeks, our Stake President called SLC to check on it and was told there were no problems and maybe it would be decided that week. As of Monday night March 23rd it still indicated ‘Ready for assignment’, but when I checked again at 7 the next morning (Tuesday) the status finally had changed to ‘Assignment made’ with an assignment date from the previous Thursday March 19th. A note on the status bar indicates that the status does not get changed to assignment made until the completed packet is mailed out. As far as mail getting there the next day (Wednesday) near SLC, we are within an hour of SLC on the I-15 corridor and as of Thursday March 26th, it was still not in the mail today. Talked to a friend who lives in the SLC valley who is in the same boat, and no call for them yet either. Another boy in the area got his call on Friday last week, so it seems the timing has changed a bit since this site was originally published. Hope this is helpful to others looking for current information.

23. Tracie
    Tracie says:

From what I’ve seen with my son and all his friends, calls are now coming on Thursday or Friday. Our Stake President called on Monday to say that the website says “Assignment Made”, but it’s Thursday, and still no call in the mail. We are hoping for Friday….It’s very unpredictable now, not like back in the “old days” when you knew for sure it would come on a Wednesday.

24. Doreen
    Doreen says:

I would like to know if availability date affects processing time? As stated earlier, do they process the calls with the earliest availability date first?

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

I can’t say for sure, but I do not believe availability date is a factor for when they process the call or how long it takes to process. That is, other than the fact that you are not allowed to submit your paperwork more than 4 months, 120 days, prior to your availability date. I believe each application is processed in the order it is received, and goes to the prophets for the call assignment just as soon as the application is ready.

25. Kari Cox
    Kari Cox says:

My daughter is submitting her papers on July 10th (her 120 day mark) – but I heard through the “grapevine” that calls are not issued in July because that is when the Brethren take their vacations… I just wanted to know if that was true cause if so the waiting period would be longer than normal. Also, do they allow missionaries to enter the MTC early, so that they turn the required age while in the MTC? Thanks so much for any info you may have, really appreciated.

26. Peggy
    Peggy says:

I also heard the rumor about calls not being issued in July due to vacations taken by the Brethren. The 120 day mark was a month ago, but we had some issues to work out–now that the paperwork is ready to go next week, I’m wondering if we will be further delayed. Anyone know?

• Kari Cox
      Kari Cox says:

Looks like we have the same question… I wonder if anyone knows… Ohhh the anticipation… 🙂 Good Luck and congrats on getting ready for the mission. 🙂

• Peggy
        Peggy says:

Well, the bishop said the assignment was made last Wednesday, Jul 22. And another sister in our ward received her call a week ago–so that at least answers the question that yes, calls are issued during the month of July.

27. Makhenna
    Makhenna says:

I sent in my papers about 6 weeks ago and was called by the stake president to clear up some things, finished doing that two weeks later. A member in my ward that’s in the stake presidency checked my status online then told me on Tuesday my mission status finally changed to “assignment made,” but it’s Thursday and I still have no call and I just live in Utah county. I’m just not sure if it’s coming anytime soon or if it will come tomorrow? I’ve just been waiting for a long time, so any help would be appreciated!

28. Jay
    Jay says:

Anyone else agree that we should be able to see the processing status on our website. It’s been 3 weeks and I live 20 mintues from SlC my bishop says it was issued 1 1/2 ago.

29. Cici
    Cici says:

So I submitted my papers 3 weeks ago exactly (January 20) and as of yesterday (Feb 9) my bishop said that the status said the call had been made. My address is literally 2 and 1/2 blocks away from Church headquarters (if that matters) and I thought I would have received my call today, but no.
    I am hoping that it will come tomorrow, but a few people who live around the downtown area are saying that they have been getting theirs Saturdays?
    What do you think?
    I’m just hoping to get mine Friday or earlier to open it with family before I go out of town…

30. Marie
    Marie says:

With the change of missionary ages and the large influx of missionary applications, did the process change for how they assign missions? Do the 12 apostles still decide on the call or did they need to streamline it differently to accommodate the increased volume? If so, what is the procedure now?

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

To my knowledge, the process has not changed. One of the apostles, who we sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators, issues the call for each missionary.

• Marie
        Marie says:

Thank you! I was hoping that would be the answer! It makes it extra special to know that an apostle of God receives revelation regarding your call.

31. Karl
    Karl says:

What is the average wait time between getting your call and entering the MTC? Is it generally longer if you’re going foreign?

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

I don’t know if there is an average, but if there was, I’d guess it is between two and three months. I have seen it as short as one month and as long as four or five months. And I don’t think there is a difference between domestic or foreign missions.

32. Margie
    Margie says:

My daughters bishop said her call was issued on March 10th. The status said assignment made…. Does that mean it’s been mailed out? The 10th was 10 days ago and we only live in Idaho, 2 hrs away from SLC? Seems like a long time. Any ideas how soon it will come? Does anyone know what day of the week it usually arrives?

• Karl
      Karl says:

It took 2 1/2 weeks for my son’s call to come after it said the call had been assigned. We only live 15 min from Salt Lake and it came on a Wednesday. I hope that helps!

• Margie
        Margie says:

Yes that does help! Thank you:) I was starting to think it got lost in the mail, so good to know that is a normal amount of time!

33. Katie Bell
    Katie Bell says:

Hi, I just put in my mission call this sunday, and I was wondering how I could see the status of my mission papers without having to ask my bishop. I mean, is that possible?

34. James D Martin
    James D Martin says:

My Son Joseph has had the papers submitted and accepted. We got a text from our Ward Bishop that the status was “Call Assigned”. Now that was on Wednesday June 29th and Today is July 4, 2016. No word yet… We have faithfully checked the mail box every day since… No sign of my Son’s call yet in the Mail. Patiently waiting….. hoping…. praying….

35. Anita
    Anita says:

My sons papers were submitted 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago the mission department contact our stake president and needed some clarification on a few medical things. He called me I explained everything and he called the mission office right back. He then said they seemed fine with everything. The status then went from “in process” to “ready for assignment” Yesterday our bishop checked the status and it still states “ready for assignment” I’ve had a few people tell me I should contact the mission department in SLC to inquire if there’s anything else they need. Not sure what to do. We are headed to Utah (from the East Coast) this coming weekend and was hoping his call would be here so we can shop. Not sure what to do at this point. Do I call them or just wait? We have a few hectic months with our temple preparing to open and the cultural celebration which my son’s involved with so was trying to get a head start on things.

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

If the status says ready for assignment, then there is probably no reason to call the missionary department. Once your son’s paperwork is completely ready, he gets put in the queue. Then it’s just a matter of the time it takes for the brethren to go through each missionary’s name. There are only so many that they can do in a week, so if they didn’t get to his name this week, hopefully they’ll get to it next week. During the spring and summer is the busiest time when a great number of missionaries submit their paperwork, so be patient. And thank you for your son’s and your family’s willingness to serve the Lord.

• Anita
        Anita says:

Jimmy

Thanks for your comforting words and encouragement to be patient. I just heard from my bishop that his call was assigned on July 6th, so now just hoping and praying that it is here be Friday before we leave for Utah/Idaho.

36. Sharon Mueller
    Sharon Mueller says:

My sons were submitted almost 5 weeks ago. It’s good to read that others have been waiting a longer than average period also. We will be patient and continuie praying that it will come and be to where the Lord needs him to go.

• Anita
      Anita says:

I hope your son gets his call very soon. It’s hard waiting. My sons were finally assigned so just waiting on the mail now. Good luck.

37. Louisiana
    Louisiana says:

My Papers were submitted on sunday 21st August 2016. I live in NZ and my bishop checked status online yesterday which was sunday, exactly two weeks from when I submitted them and its sitting at ready to be assigned. Should I expect my mission call this week? Its now a Monday in NZ hopefully I get it this wedensday or thursday?

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

My guess would be that the call will be assigned this week, probably Thursday or Friday. If so, your call wouldn’t be mailed out until the following week. So I bet it will be another week and a half before it comes in the mail. Good luck. I hope you have a great mission.

38. Joshua Labajo
    Joshua Labajo says:

Reading all the comments from more than five years ago, I just cannot help but become excited for my own mission call! It is almost eight weeks since I had done submitted my papers to my bishop; to be fair, it will be no more than four weeks since my stake president submitted it to the Church HQ.

Nonetheless, I am more than patient as I am not merely waiting. I am busy doing some sort of internship here at the Area Office in the Philippines.

39. Adam
    Adam says:

My said ready to be assigned since Friday. How long till I get my call? Is there a chance I will get my call by this Friday? My call was in processing for a week already.

40. Jennifer Muller
    Jennifer Muller says:

My friend has been waiting for 6 months for his call. Who can I contact about it possibly being lost in the mail? He lives in Thailand. Any ideas would be great! Thank you!

• Jimmy
      Jimmy says:

Your friend needs to speak first with his bishop and then perhaps the stake president. Those priesthood leaders can call Church headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah to get more detailed information.

41. Josh Ivey
    Josh Ivey says:

Jimmy have a question so I submitted my papers and I’ve been ” patiently ” waiting for my call. On January 5th which was on a Thursday I logged on to my application and it asked to enter my pin that was on my call packet does that mean I’ve been assigned an should be expecting my call this week ? I live in California

Want to join the discussion? Feel free to comment in the form below! Your email address will be kept confidential.