Day of the Week Mission Calls are Issued and Mailed Out

LDS first presidency march 2018

Please note that the Church made an announcement on September 5, 2018 that by the end of the year, they anticipate that most mission call letters will be delivered electronically. This will likely necessitate changes in the process outlined in the article below, which deals with the Church mail room and sending out mission call packets via snail mail. Until it is determined what those changes are, I’ll leave the post below as it, but please note that the new electronic process for sending out mission calls will likely speed things up.

I am frequently asked about steps in the LDS mission call process and a couple of the common questions are about what day of the week the apostles meet to make the mission assignments and subsequently, what day of the week does the mission call letter and packet will get mailed out. The answer to both of these questions is that it depends. Let me explain.

What day of the week do the apostles meet to make mission calls?

In most weeks, the member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will meet and make these call assignments on Friday. But depending on their schedule, that day can vary. Thursdays are the second most common day in which they meet, but it’s not unheard of for them to make the assignments on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

The missionary call assignment meeting is held weekly and is presided over by one of the twelve apostles. While all mission call letters are signed by the prophet and president of the Church, we should remember that each of the Twelve Apostles are also a prophet, seer, and revelator, and the Church president has delegated to them the responsibility to make mission assignments. In the weekly meeting, the apostle reviews new missionary applications and through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, assigns each missionary to a specific mission. President Henry B. Eyring once spoke about this process when he was explaining how each call is inspired. Elder Ronald A. Rasband also explained this process and how missionaries are called by God in his April 2010 General Conference talk.

What day of the week does the mission call letter go out?

On most weeks, the call packets are received by the Church headquarters mail room on Tuesday, and are mailed out that same day. Because Tuesday is the most likely day for the call packets to be mailed out, those living near Salt Lake City, will usually receive it one day later, on Wednesday. Those living further away from Utah, should plan accordingly for additional days for the call packet to arrive. Remember, however, that there is variation to that schedule and the day that the mission call letter is mailed out could be different than the norm if the day the called was issued was different in that week, or based on other factors unique to individual missionaries, mission circumstances, holiday schedules, and if translation needs to be involved.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

LDS Quorum of 12 Apostles April 2018

168 replies
  1. Joseph Davison
    Joseph Davison says:

I put my papers in two and a half weeks ago. According to my bishop, the assignment was made last Friday. Today is Tuesday, and I live in Provo. I will be spending my day tomorrow anxiously staring out the window waiting for the mailman to come.

• Susan
      Susan says:

It’s now April 2018. My daughter’s mission papers were submitted a little over 3 weeks ago. Her call was assigned last week. Today is Tuesday. We live 30 minutes from Salt Lake, so we will start watching for her call tomorrow. She is so excited. We all are.

2. Michael
    Michael says:

How do you get this information? Is it made available to members of the church? I am waiting on my call, and have heard many conflicting ideas about when they meet to assign, when the call goes out and when you get it. My stake president says they usually meet to assign on Thursday.

Jimmy says:

My source is a friend who works in the Missionary Department of the Church. As I state above, the day of the week is not set in stone and does vary. And also please remember that none of the information on this site should be construed as official from the Church. I do my best to provide accurate information, but neither I nor this site is an official spokesperson of the LDS Church. Good luck, and God bless.

• muli cocker
        muli cocker says:

I have a question my missiin call status says in the process of an assignment to be made that was on monday so what does that mean exactly

• FIlipa PInto
        FIlipa PInto says:

HI I’m sorry for writing this were, but I am really interested in becoming a health missionary or a nurse mission specialist, can you tell me more about that please? How is the mtc for this type of missionaries?

3. Joseph Forbush
    Joseph Forbush says:

My name is Joseph Forbush. I sent my papers last Tuesday but Salt Lake City received them on Thursday (1/24/13). I am so excited and can’t sleep a whole night without thinking about when mission call is going to come in the mail and what it says! I wondering when you guys think I might receive my mission papers in the mail. In your personal most exact opinion, what day or week do you think my mission papers will arrive in the mail?

Example: Tell me the day, date, and week you expect my call to arrive. I live in Michigan…if this helps at all!

• Matthew Kruse
      Matthew Kruse says:

I put my Mission Papers in and met with my Stake Pres. Almost eight weeks ago, four weeks ago I got word that they are in Salt Lake and they needed some information cleared up (which I did four weeks ago) my Stake Pres hasn’t told me anything else, so I take it that all is cleared up. Any thoughts on why it is taking so long?

• K. Outzen
      K. Outzen says:

@Joseph Forbush: DID YOU GET YOUR CALL YET? If so, where are you going?
      My hubby was a bishop a yr & a half ago. He sent out about 8 or 10 missionaries (a LOT for our ward) and watched the process online ea. time. Just like when byu students watch their application, the “status” of the app changes when it is registered at different points. If I remember right, when it is received in slc, call issued, etc. As I have seen before, it seems the calls are often issued on a Thurs., and processed for mail on Fri. afternoon.
      We live in VA, so it takes about the same time as Michigan or even a day longer to get our mail. They usually get there either Tues. Wed. Thurs. of the 3rd week (2 1/2 wks).
      Which should be yesterday/TODAY/or tomorrow…if the pattern holds now w/all these new younger applicants.

4. Emmanuel Abel
    Emmanuel Abel says:

i live in uganda east africa and will be putting in my call next week ,when should i xpect to get it back ..thank you

5. Ali
    Ali says:

Super Anxious Mom here! Stake Pres. submitted son’s call on Monday.. Do you think it could be here as early as the end of next week? We are having a “opening party” with all our friends and neighbors, most of which are non members. Everyone is exited!
    We live Georgia.

6. Ma'ake Hautau
    Ma'ake Hautau says:

I’m really anxious right now, my bishop submitted my papers two weeks ago, will I get my mission this week? I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

7. Ma'ake Hautau
    Ma'ake Hautau says:

It’s been almost three or four weeks and I haven’t received my mission call, what should I do? SLC, UTAH..

8. Vanessa
    Vanessa says:

I sent out my mission last thursday which was the 27th of June. I live in Idaho, I was told that the mission calls usually arrived on a thursday here in Idaho so with the holiday 4th of July can it arrive on a friday or will it just have to wait until the 10th or 11th? please answer a little confused. Thanks

9. muli cocker
    muli cocker says:

is it possible for the missionary canidate to call the mission dept to check on the status of the call.i submitted my papers last monday 7/1/13.im pretty sure they are on their way here.jus so anxieous.

Jimmy says:

I’m not sure. I think the Church would prefer for you to wait patiently. If you used the online missionary recommendation system, I believe you can see where your application is in the process. Otherwise, if you feel there is a major delay, talk to your stake president and he can call the missionary department at Church headquarters. Good luck and God bless.

• Audrie Barnes
      Audrie Barnes says:

If yoi contact your bishop, he’s able to see the status of your call, whether it’s in progress, assigned, or shipped.

10. Audrie Barnes
    Audrie Barnes says:

So my mission papers were all processed this week, or should have been because they had to call me about something and said they were going through. But, when my bishop checked today (Friday) at 9 p.m., the status was still “In Progress.” Is there any chance it’ll be assigned on Monday? Thanks!

11. Sarah Boaden
    Sarah Boaden says:

Hi! I found out that my mission call was made on the 26th July, I was wondering if you knew how long it would take to get my call back in the mail. I live in Australia if that helps at all! Cheers

12. leroy
    leroy says:

where is appropriate to open your packet? I understand the traditional answer but i am wanting to know if it is not appropriate to open it at church.

• Family
      Family says:

Sariah, I’m curious when you finally received your mission call in the mail. Anxiously awaiting my sons now. We were also told by stake pres that the call was extended last Friday. Where are you serving and when?

13. samuel Burrell
    samuel Burrell says:

Hello i have a question about the online system i had my mission papers sent in via computer over a week ago will it show it was shiped to my house or say it was submitted and that is it the stake president has already sent it in to headquarters so?

14. Jared Constantine
    Jared Constantine says:

Hey Jimmy, love the site and info. Just one question to clarify things: The stake president submitted my papers a couple days ago, on Tuesday, so the apostle should review my papers and make the assignment on Friday like you said. But will the packet get to the mail room the following Tuesday or a week after on Tuesday? You or anybody else can post the answer or email me personally if possible please. Thanks!

Jimmy says:

The packet will get to the mail room the Tuesday after that call is made.
      But what is less certain is if they will be reviewing your paperwork the Friday after you submit it. If, for example, there have been a lot of submissions, there could be a back log, so it might not be until the following Friday before they get to your paperwork. Good luck, and God bless.

15. Hector Calderon
    Hector Calderon says:

I’m from Mexico, I submitted my papers over 1 month ago, but my stake president forgot to mail them to SLC, he also said this very Wednesday I was going to be assigned, I’m super excited and wait to get my call in 2 or 3 weeks from now.

16. Gerald
    Gerald says:

Hello jimmy! I so much appreciate d way n manner u give answers to question. Kudos! Pls i want to knw my mission call status. I submitted it last month*august 2014!

17. Jason
    Jason says:

So, my bishop said my status changed to ‘assignment made’ today. It’s a Tuesday, so I’m curious when I should expect to see my call packet- like when should the packet be in the mail room?

18. McKay
    McKay says:

Hello, I love reading all the great posts on this website. I had my Stake President meeting today, and my papers are officially submitted! I hope to get them real soon, hopefully a week from Wednesday! I’ll patiently wait, but I just want to keep everyone updated with when my call comes and where I will serve.

• McKay Fackrell
            McKay Fackrell says:

We got our calls this morning and opened them up this evening. We fliiped a coin to see who would go first and my twin brother was the lucky one! He is going to the Australia Brisbane Mission, reporting to the Provo MTC on March 18th and will be speaking Mandarin Chinese! I am going to the Australia Melbourne Mission, reporting to the Provo MTC on March 18th and and will be speaking Mandarin Chinese!

19. maria
    maria says:

cual es el perfil para ser llamada a mision de la manzana del templo.
    Y teniendo asma es verdad que te llaman en tu propio pais?

20. Susu Joseph Jnr
    Susu Joseph Jnr says:

I’m from Ghana …and i have submitted my forms almost a month and 2weeks ago. and my call is still not in.. I’m also curious to know when I should expect to see my call packet..

21. Susu Joseph Jnr
    Susu Joseph Jnr says:

hello …i also took my form around May 2014 and i started filling it….. on my form the day of available for service i wrote 14th June 2014….and i submitted my form later in November 4, 2014….but forget to change it..
    Please what happens to my forms ..is it going to be change to June 2015??

i also want to go and serve soon..plz i need help

22. Bruce
    Bruce says:

We have a young man from northern Utah who’s papers were electronically submitted to church HQ Tuesday Feb 24. It showed ‘in process’ that morning and changed to ‘ready for assignment’ by that afternoon (no paperwork problems). Hoped he’d be in the selection group that Friday, and out the mailroom Tuesday for a Thursday opening. Didn’t happen that week, so we thought for sure he’d be getting it the next week. No change again. Still shows ‘ready for assignment’ after 2 selection weeks and mailroom days. His availability date was just within the 120 limit when he submitted, so maybe they don’t go first in/first out like I assumed. Do you know, or can you ask your contacts in the missionary department if others that put their papers in later, but with earlier availability dates, are bumped to the top of the stack?

• Bruce
        Bruce says:

I guess I’ll answer my own question in hopes that current info may help others who are going through this process. The status that I mention (In process, Ready for assignment, Assignment made) is something that your Bishop, Stake President, or even ward clerk can easily check on the computer or even their smartphone any time. See my above posts for the full timeline starting back on Tuesday Feb 24th when the paperwork indicated that it was with church HQ and initially ‘In Process’ and later that day ‘Ready for assignment’. That is the way it stayed for a full month. After 3 weeks, our Stake President called SLC to check on it and was told there were no problems and maybe it would be decided that week. As of Monday night March 23rd it still indicated ‘Ready for assignment’, but when I checked again at 7 the next morning (Tuesday) the status finally had changed to ‘Assignment made’ with an assignment date from the previous Thursday March 19th. A note on the status bar indicates that the status does not get changed to assignment made until the completed packet is mailed out. As far as mail getting there the next day (Wednesday) near SLC, we are within an hour of SLC on the I-15 corridor and as of Thursday March 26th, it was still not in the mail today. Talked to a friend who lives in the SLC valley who is in the same boat, and no call for them yet either. Another boy in the area got his call on Friday last week, so it seems the timing has changed a bit since this site was originally published. Hope this is helpful to others looking for current information.

• DM
          DM says:

This is immensely helpful, Bruce!!! Our son’s just changed to “ready for assignment” a few days ago, after sending in his papers almost two months ago (medical issues held them up TWICE). It’s felt like an eternity.

23. Tracie
    Tracie says:

From what I’ve seen with my son and all his friends, calls are now coming on Thursday or Friday. Our Stake President called on Monday to say that the website says “Assignment Made”, but it’s Thursday, and still no call in the mail. We are hoping for Friday….It’s very unpredictable now, not like back in the “old days” when you knew for sure it would come on a Wednesday.

24. Doreen
    Doreen says:

I would like to know if availability date affects processing time? As stated earlier, do they process the calls with the earliest availability date first?

Jimmy says:

I can’t say for sure, but I do not believe availability date is a factor for when they process the call or how long it takes to process. That is, other than the fact that you are not allowed to submit your paperwork more than 4 months, 120 days, prior to your availability date. I believe each application is processed in the order it is received, and goes to the prophets for the call assignment just as soon as the application is ready.

25. Kari Cox
    Kari Cox says:

My daughter is submitting her papers on July 10th (her 120 day mark) – but I heard through the “grapevine” that calls are not issued in July because that is when the Brethren take their vacations… I just wanted to know if that was true cause if so the waiting period would be longer than normal. Also, do they allow missionaries to enter the MTC early, so that they turn the required age while in the MTC? Thanks so much for any info you may have, really appreciated.

26. Peggy
    Peggy says:

I also heard the rumor about calls not being issued in July due to vacations taken by the Brethren. The 120 day mark was a month ago, but we had some issues to work out–now that the paperwork is ready to go next week, I’m wondering if we will be further delayed. Anyone know?

• Kari Cox
      Kari Cox says:

Looks like we have the same question… I wonder if anyone knows… Ohhh the anticipation… 🙂 Good Luck and congrats on getting ready for the mission. 🙂

• Peggy
        Peggy says:

Well, the bishop said the assignment was made last Wednesday, Jul 22. And another sister in our ward received her call a week ago–so that at least answers the question that yes, calls are issued during the month of July.

27. Makhenna
    Makhenna says:

I sent in my papers about 6 weeks ago and was called by the stake president to clear up some things, finished doing that two weeks later. A member in my ward that’s in the stake presidency checked my status online then told me on Tuesday my mission status finally changed to “assignment made,” but it’s Thursday and I still have no call and I just live in Utah county. I’m just not sure if it’s coming anytime soon or if it will come tomorrow? I’ve just been waiting for a long time, so any help would be appreciated!

28. Jay
    Jay says:

Anyone else agree that we should be able to see the processing status on our website. It’s been 3 weeks and I live 20 mintues from SlC my bishop says it was issued 1 1/2 ago.

29. Cici
    Cici says:

So I submitted my papers 3 weeks ago exactly (January 20) and as of yesterday (Feb 9) my bishop said that the status said the call had been made. My address is literally 2 and 1/2 blocks away from Church headquarters (if that matters) and I thought I would have received my call today, but no.
    I am hoping that it will come tomorrow, but a few people who live around the downtown area are saying that they have been getting theirs Saturdays?
    What do you think?
    I’m just hoping to get mine Friday or earlier to open it with family before I go out of town…

30. Marie
    Marie says:

With the change of missionary ages and the large influx of missionary applications, did the process change for how they assign missions? Do the 12 apostles still decide on the call or did they need to streamline it differently to accommodate the increased volume? If so, what is the procedure now?

Jimmy says:

To my knowledge, the process has not changed. One of the apostles, who we sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators, issues the call for each missionary.

• Marie
        Marie says:

Thank you! I was hoping that would be the answer! It makes it extra special to know that an apostle of God receives revelation regarding your call.

31. Karl
    Karl says:

What is the average wait time between getting your call and entering the MTC? Is it generally longer if you’re going foreign?

Jimmy says:

I don’t know if there is an average, but if there was, I’d guess it is between two and three months. I have seen it as short as one month and as long as four or five months. And I don’t think there is a difference between domestic or foreign missions.

32. Margie
    Margie says:

My daughters bishop said her call was issued on March 10th. The status said assignment made…. Does that mean it’s been mailed out? The 10th was 10 days ago and we only live in Idaho, 2 hrs away from SLC? Seems like a long time. Any ideas how soon it will come? Does anyone know what day of the week it usually arrives?

• Karl
      Karl says:

It took 2 1/2 weeks for my son’s call to come after it said the call had been assigned. We only live 15 min from Salt Lake and it came on a Wednesday. I hope that helps!

• Margie
        Margie says:

Yes that does help! Thank you:) I was starting to think it got lost in the mail, so good to know that is a normal amount of time!

33. Katie Bell
    Katie Bell says:

Hi, I just put in my mission call this sunday, and I was wondering how I could see the status of my mission papers without having to ask my bishop. I mean, is that possible?

34. James D Martin
    James D Martin says:

My Son Joseph has had the papers submitted and accepted. We got a text from our Ward Bishop that the status was “Call Assigned”. Now that was on Wednesday June 29th and Today is July 4, 2016. No word yet… We have faithfully checked the mail box every day since… No sign of my Son’s call yet in the Mail. Patiently waiting….. hoping…. praying….

35. Anita
    Anita says:

My sons papers were submitted 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago the mission department contact our stake president and needed some clarification on a few medical things. He called me I explained everything and he called the mission office right back. He then said they seemed fine with everything. The status then went from “in process” to “ready for assignment” Yesterday our bishop checked the status and it still states “ready for assignment” I’ve had a few people tell me I should contact the mission department in SLC to inquire if there’s anything else they need. Not sure what to do. We are headed to Utah (from the East Coast) this coming weekend and was hoping his call would be here so we can shop. Not sure what to do at this point. Do I call them or just wait? We have a few hectic months with our temple preparing to open and the cultural celebration which my son’s involved with so was trying to get a head start on things.

Jimmy says:

If the status says ready for assignment, then there is probably no reason to call the missionary department. Once your son’s paperwork is completely ready, he gets put in the queue. Then it’s just a matter of the time it takes for the brethren to go through each missionary’s name. There are only so many that they can do in a week, so if they didn’t get to his name this week, hopefully they’ll get to it next week. During the spring and summer is the busiest time when a great number of missionaries submit their paperwork, so be patient. And thank you for your son’s and your family’s willingness to serve the Lord.

• Anita
        Anita says:

Jimmy

Thanks for your comforting words and encouragement to be patient. I just heard from my bishop that his call was assigned on July 6th, so now just hoping and praying that it is here be Friday before we leave for Utah/Idaho.

36. Sharon Mueller
    Sharon Mueller says:

My sons were submitted almost 5 weeks ago. It’s good to read that others have been waiting a longer than average period also. We will be patient and continuie praying that it will come and be to where the Lord needs him to go.

• Anita
      Anita says:

I hope your son gets his call very soon. It’s hard waiting. My sons were finally assigned so just waiting on the mail now. Good luck.

37. Louisiana
    Louisiana says:

My Papers were submitted on sunday 21st August 2016. I live in NZ and my bishop checked status online yesterday which was sunday, exactly two weeks from when I submitted them and its sitting at ready to be assigned. Should I expect my mission call this week? Its now a Monday in NZ hopefully I get it this wedensday or thursday?

Jimmy says:

My guess would be that the call will be assigned this week, probably Thursday or Friday. If so, your call wouldn’t be mailed out until the following week. So I bet it will be another week and a half before it comes in the mail. Good luck. I hope you have a great mission.

38. Joshua Labajo
    Joshua Labajo says:

Reading all the comments from more than five years ago, I just cannot help but become excited for my own mission call! It is almost eight weeks since I had done submitted my papers to my bishop; to be fair, it will be no more than four weeks since my stake president submitted it to the Church HQ.

Nonetheless, I am more than patient as I am not merely waiting. I am busy doing some sort of internship here at the Area Office in the Philippines.

39. Adam
    Adam says:

My said ready to be assigned since Friday. How long till I get my call? Is there a chance I will get my call by this Friday? My call was in processing for a week already.

40. Jennifer Muller
    Jennifer Muller says:

My friend has been waiting for 6 months for his call. Who can I contact about it possibly being lost in the mail? He lives in Thailand. Any ideas would be great! Thank you!

Jimmy says:

Your friend needs to speak first with his bishop and then perhaps the stake president. Those priesthood leaders can call Church headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah to get more detailed information.

41. Josh Ivey
    Josh Ivey says:

Jimmy have a question so I submitted my papers and I’ve been ” patiently ” waiting for my call. On January 5th which was on a Thursday I logged on to my application and it asked to enter my pin that was on my call packet does that mean I’ve been assigned an should be expecting my call this week ? I live in California

• Patient Missionary
      Patient Missionary says:

Hey @JoshIvey did you ever find out what that pin thing meant? I saw it appear on mine on Thursday and was wondering how long it would take to get after that showed up.

42. Heather Knight
    Heather Knight says:

Hi! I turned in my papers last night and I just got word from my bishop and my application is in Salt lake! So excited. wonder how long it will take. I’m at BYU-Idaho.

43. John
    John says:

My son turned in his papers a little over a month ago. With several delays .the first. Time the local leaders overlooked some missing medical information.It was correct and sent back with a wewk.Than two weeks later tbey received an email about his disability. A response was sent back that same day. My question is. Do these delays cause things to start over.or does it just go to the next step from there. Its really frustrating.please help.

Jimmy says:

I don’t believe there is any back tracking or starting over. I believe they gathering all the parts of your application at church headquarters, and once they have everything they need, your son will move to the next step of the process. We’ll pray that it goes quickly and smoothly from here. Good luck and God bless.

44. Bukunmi
    Bukunmi says:

Hi jimmy! My stake president submitted my form on the 28th of last month (march) and I checked it, I saw that the assignment was made on 7th of this month. How long will the call pack take for me to get it? I’m from Nigeria

Jimmy says:

If the assignment was made on the 7th, then the letter was probably mailed out on the 11th. I have no idea how long it takes for US mail to get to Nigeria. But please let us know when you get it. Thanks. Good luck and God bless you.

• Bukunmi
        Bukunmi says:

Thanks very much, I finally got my call yesterday. I’m serving Benin city Nigerian mission. I’m leaving on the 15th of June.

45. Alexa
    Alexa says:

Approximately how long does it typically take for the status to change from “in process” to “ready for assignment”?

Jimmy says:

Generally it would only take a week or so, but depending on a lot of factors it could take a few weeks or even a few months in extreme cases. Factors include:
      -how many applications are received by the church that week. Spring and summer is a busy time of year with more applications coming in during those months than during fall and winter. In those very busy weeks, your application would probably only be delayed by a week.
      -medical issues. if your application has indications of physical, mental, or emotional health issues, then it could take longer for the doctors at church headquarters to review your papers and have you ready for assignment. It is these kind of issues that can cause the longer delays.

46. Oswell
    Oswell says:

Jimmy just a quick one. I just logged in into my missionary portal and I was asked to enter a pin although I haven’t received my call. Does it mean I have been assigned

47. Keisha Rae Prado
    Keisha Rae Prado says:

Hi! My stake president just sent my papers in last night. I’m soooo excited for when I get my call. However, I just have one question. I had depression during my early teens. I indicated it on my papers. I wasn’t clinically diagnosed, but I have cleared it up with my bishop and stake president. Will this affect or somehow delay my call? Thank you for answering! I’m from the Philippines, by the way.

Jimmy says:

Congratulations on getting your mission papers turned in. I’m sure you’ll be a great missionary. If your bishop and stake president have indicated that the depression is no longer an issue for you, then it should not affect your mission call. But if you are actively taking prescription medications for depression, then that could delay your call a little and affect how and where you serve. Good luck, and God bless.

• Keisha Rae Prado
        Keisha Rae Prado says:

Thank you so much! After fervent prayers and getting a few emails and calls from the missionary department, I finally got my call last January 27! I have been called to serve in the Philippines Baguio Mission! I report to the MTC on April 6. I’m so excited!

48. Anxious Mom
    Anxious Mom says:

My son just interviewed with the stake president this week. I hope that means his papers are now submitted. He has Crohn’s Disease and I wonder how that will affect his paperwork and call. What have you heard about medical issues?

Jimmy says:

From my experience and what I have heard is that it may delay the processing of his application a little, but not too much. It may take an extra week if his application is identified as one that needs special attention from the doctors at church headquarters to review before it goes to the brethren for the assigning of the mission call. The Church has, historically, not said a lot about the process for youth that have medical issues. It’s something I have been researching more and I’m trying to post an article on the site soon with the information I have. Good luck and God bless.

49. Old Skeezix
    Old Skeezix says:

We’ve been ready for assignment since October 12. Will check the portal to see if it’s asking us oldsters for a pin yet. We hope ours get sent out on Tuesdays too. Gonna check right now.

50. Old Skeezix
    Old Skeezix says:

Woo, hoo! At the portal it’s now asking for a PIN number. It was just bumping us out automatically on Sunday and Monday. So, it looks like our calls are in the mail since either Tuesday or today, Wednesday! We’re in Houston; our call is going to Spokane. Hope that brother-in-law is checking the mail! With these calls he’ll have opened five mission calls in his life. Woo hoo!

51. Heather Nielsen
    Heather Nielsen says:

I submitted my papers October 17th and it was received at the HQ in Salt Lake City, I have checked with my bishop each Friday to see the status and it still says “in process”. Tomorrow will mark 3 weeks, so I’m hoping to get it this week. Is there any chance they just haven’t updated the status and it could still come this week??

• Heather Nielsen
      Heather Nielsen says:

UPDATE: Call was assigned on November 22, right before Thanksgiving and now when I go into the mission portal it asks me for a pin. It’s now 9 days later and I still haven’t received it, I’m assuming mail is taking longer due to the holidays. But, if it’s showing the pin that means it was sent out right?

52. Ethan
    Ethan says:

I submitted my papers on October 11 of this year, and it’s Nov. 13 today, I’ve been waiting over a month now and just last Saturday October 11th my bishop told me it just said call as been assigned, any idea when it should be getting to me? I live out in NJ. I’ve been staying up every night wondering

Jimmy says:

Ethan, If your call has been assigned, it should go out with the next mailing. Calls usually leave the mail room on Tuesday, and I’m guessing it takes 2 or 3 days for the mail to get to New Jersey. So I’m guessing you’ll get your call packet later this week, around Thursday or Friday.

53. Staicy sahanna
    Staicy sahanna says:

Hi! I live in India and I submitted my mission papers on 20th October. When I last checked in with my branch president, my status was “ready for assignment ” on 24th November. Any ideas on how long must I wait to get my mission call?

Jimmy says:

Staicy, I’m guessing it will be another week or two. If you are ready for assignment, the call should be made this week and then it will hopefully be mailed to you next week. Good luck and God bless.

54. Robert Mukuna
    Robert Mukuna says:

Bjr jimmy,mes papiers sont arrivés à salt like city le mercredi derniers est ce que je peux etre affecté cette semaine?et si je suis affecté cette semaine quand est ce que j’aurai mon appel?je vis en republique democratique du congo

55. Robert Mukuna
    Robert Mukuna says:

Bjr jimmy,mes papiers sont arivés à salt like city le mercredi derniers,est ce que je peux etre affecté cette semaine?et si on m’affecte cette semaine,quand est ce que j’aurai mon appel?je vis en republique democratique du congo

56. Robert Mukuna
    Robert Mukuna says:

hello jimmy, my papers are coming to salt like city last wednesday, can i be affected this week and if i get affected this week, when will i get my call? i live in democratic republic of congo

57. momof5monkeys
    momof5monkeys says:

My son’s papers were submitted a little over 2 weeks ago. Our bishop is telling us he can’t see anything about the status. Does it show anything on the missionary portal from the candidate’s end? When I check it says, “Recommendation has been submitted”.

Jimmy says:

I wish the Church would make a video or write an article about the steps in the online application process and tell what the different statuses are and how things move from one status to the next. But alas, I’ve never seen anything like that. I believe “Recommendation has been submitted” means your stake has submitted the electronic paperwork to Church headquarters. Next, a team of people there will review the application and get it ready for the apostles to issue the call. That includes medical doctors reviewing your medical papers and other Church employees making sure everything on your application is in order. Then it will be marked online with the status “Ready for assignment”. That means that in the next weekly meeting where an apostle issues calls, your application will be in line for a mission assignment. Then, the next week, assuming there are no issues to cause a delay, your mission call packet should be mailed out. I hope this helps. Good luck and God bless.

58. Anxious Mom
    Anxious Mom says:

Update on son with medical condition. Some of his labs were missing so that took a few days to contact the doctor and get them submitted. Then after Thanksgiving he got a call from a doctor working for the church to discuss his condition. It was after this call that his status changed to ready for assignment. We are hopeful that he may have a call by Christmas.

• Savannah
      Savannah says:

Hello! Thank you so much for posting about your sons medical condition. I have Narcolepsy and I am going through the same process. How long did you guys wait to hear from the church doctors? My papers are in Salt Lake right now and I know I will have to talk to the doctors eventually before I am assigned.

59. kelly
    kelly says:

My daughter submitted her papers the week before Thanksgiving. It is now two days after Christmas. It has said her call has been assigned over a week ago. We only live in Idaho, I would’ve thought it would be here by now? Does the temple shut down for the whole week of Christmas? Could the call have been made but not sent out?

Jimmy says:

Kelly, It is very possible that the call has been made but the packet has not yet been sent out. In fact, that sounds exactly like what has happened. I bet the mailing out of calls has been delayed due to staff at Church headquarters taking time off for Christmas break. I’d give it a few more days. If you haven’t received the call packet in the mail by the first part of January, then, if it hasn’t arrived, you may want to give the Church missionary department a call.

60. Frozen Canadians
    Frozen Canadians says:

Our daughter’s mission papers were submitted to SLC on Jan. 2, 2018. President Monson passed away the same day. Do you think this will create a delay in mission assignment until the new prophet is ordained? Who would sign mission calls between Presidents? Imagine it would be the President of the Quorum of Twelve?

61. Jessica Woodbury
    Jessica Woodbury says:

Hi! I just submitted my mission application 2 days ago and my bishop emailed me saying that my status read “ready for assignment”. Do you think that my call will be assigned this week, or do you think I’ve still got a while before I receive my call?

62. KiwiMum
    KiwiMum says:

Seems like most of the questions here are the same. Answer is the Lord is teaching us patience here. Only been 2 weeks since sons papers have been submitted from New Zealand. Happy to wait which means more quality time with him before he goes. Lol…. All the best to our prospective missionaries….

63. AIGHOBAHI ACTWELL AGBONAVBARE
    AIGHOBAHI ACTWELL AGBONAVBARE says:

I sent my missionary recommendation form December 25th 2017 and today is Sunday march 25th 2018……I still haven’t gotten my call pack up till now

64. Susan
    Susan says:

My daughter met with the Stake President yesterday. I have heard that her call might be delayed because General Conference is this weekend. Are they not assigning calls this week?

• Steven Fearing Jr
      Steven Fearing Jr says:

It’s taken 4 weeks since I submitted my papers. For three and a half of those weeks, they were in processing. My call is currently waiting for an assignment. It will probably come within the next 2-4 weeks. To my understanding as told to me by the mission department, they were working on mission papers and making assignments through Friday of last week. I hope this helps.

• Rob
      Rob says:

My son Submitted his papers 3/20/18 and it says they’re still processing. My neighbor submitted his 3/11 and received his call in the mail on 3/28. My guess is General Conference is causing a delay????

65. Kiara
    Kiara says:

My Stake president submitted my papers on the 28th of March as well. Status was just moved to “ready for assignment” yesterday. I was told that General Conference would cause a delay. Super excited to receive my call!

• Susan
      Susan says:

Kiara, My daughter is waiting for her call to arrive. It was assigned last week. We were told that once it is assigned, it will be mailed out the following Tuesday. Today is Tuesday and we live 30 minutes from Salt Lake, so we will be watching for it tomorrow. I think it’s wonderful that so many sisters are serving missions.

66. Michał
    Michał says:

I submitted my application on 22 of February. My mission president submitted on 23 of March and is still in process…

67. Savannah
    Savannah says:

I have Narcolepsy and I am filling out my papers. Along with my physical that lists my health needs do I need to include my sleep study results?

Jimmy says:

Savannah, Your doctor should write on the evaluation that he/she fills out that you have narcolepsy. The results of your sleep study probably do not need to be included, though a summary of the results should be included in the report from your doctor. When the doctors at Church headquarters receive your mission application, if they want more details on your narcolepsy, they will ask for it. Good luck.

68. Filipa
    Filipa says:

Hi! I´m from portugal and I send my papers last week, they are in salt lake since may, 10th. One friend of mine also send their papers and they are ready to assigned (they are in salt lake since may 9th). My papers, however are “in process” I think that´s because of health issues. I have somnambulism, but that just happened 4 times. I send my sleep examination in portuguese to confirm that isn’t a great problem. I never needed to do medication for that just precaution with the doors and windows… Do you think that will be a problem for me to go on a mission? Or that I have to wait much longer for my call because I send examens,in portuguese? Thank you

69. Micheal
    Micheal says:

I sent my papers on 22nd of February, however my mission call is still in process… My district president calls them every week since 20th of April and they say it should be assign at the end of the week. Already passed 4 of this “weeks”. Do you know why is it happening? Do they have some organization problems there?

70. Concerned pending missionary
    Concerned pending missionary says:

I feel like something is a little off, I submitted my papers on April 19th it is now June 10th. They were reviewed 3 Monday’s ago but they are still not here, I live in mid California what are your thoughts on where they are and what happened to them.

Jimmy says:

The delay could be for any number of reasons. I recommend asking your bishop to call the missionary department at church headquarters to see if you can get an explanation. Good luck.

71. Hayley
    Hayley says:

Hi there! My papers have been in for about 4.5 weeks. My bishop checked the status of my call last night (Monday) and it said “ready for assignment”. Do you think there’s any chance it could come this week? Someone told me it only changes to assigned when it’s actually sent. Or will it probably be another week? Thanks!

72. Deanne Weatherford
    Deanne Weatherford says:

I have a friend who said the apostles do not meet for a certain time in July and take a “summer vacay”. They will convene again later in the month so her call will take longer to be received. Is that true?

Jimmy says:

Yes, I have heard that they generally take their vacations in July, so the summer schedule can be more unpredictable.

73. Nightingale
    Nightingale says:

Hi,
    I just wanted to ask what it means when a mission form’s status is “assigning pending”, it was changed from ready for assigning to assigning pending July 5th 2018, would love some helps please,

Thanks

74. Keven Jackson
    Keven Jackson says:

We live in Washington state. My daughters mission call was mailed on Tuesday. She received it in the mail the following Monday.

Jimmy says:

Isaac, I don’t imagine there will be much of a delay due to your diabetes. Diabetes is pretty common and something that the Church missionary department deals with all the time. Please do let me know, though, how long the process takes for you and anything else that would help people in the same situation as you. Good luck on your mission and God bless.

75. IsaacAnImpatientFutureElder
    IsaacAnImpatientFutureElder says:

I have been waiting for over 6 weeks now. I submitted my papers in about a week before July 1st. On the 6th I got a call from the mission office regarding medical info. On the fourth Sunday my Bishop told me that the mission office had called to notify of missing paperwork. I dont know if it was on the Bishop or stake level. At this rate I’m never going to get a call

76. Midoalca
    Midoalca says:

Hello! I live in SLC, this week will be my third and I’m still waiting on my call. I feel super impatient because my boyfriend got his in two weeks. I do have a mental health background and for the missionary assessment the therapist said, I was fine but that the process would be longer since there’s another step my papers need to go through. Does anyone know how much longer it will take? Or anything related to that? Let me know! Thank you!

77. Maureen Madison
    Maureen Madison says:

My son’s mission application was submitted August 25th. He needed an assessment concerning his health which was completed 3 weeks ago. His portal always says recommendation has been submitted. It feels like he has been forgotten. Any ideas or advice?

78. Jim
    Jim says:

Update for anyone interested in the timing with the new email system. The way the timing worked for our son: His papers went from the Stake President into the missionary department on a Monday night. The next day your Bishop, or really any member of your Bishopric, Stake Presidentcy, and even your Ward Clerk, can login to the Missionary Recommendation section of LDS.org and see that the missionary candidate’s ‘papers’ are moved down the process from With the Stake President to With Church Headquarters with the note “In Process.” 2 weeks to the day later on a Tuesday that note changed to “Ready for Assignment.” The following Monday we loged in to our LDS.org account and where you electronically pay your tithing, he showed up as one of the missionaries you could donate toward in the Ward Mission Fund for the first time (he was not there the day before). The next day (a Tuesday), exactly 3 weeks and 1 day from when his papers went to church headquarters he got a text saying, “Your mission call can now be viewed at…” That is also when his name advanced in the Missionary Recommendation site that can be viewed by your Bishopric to Assignment Made with a date of the Friday prior (which is when the Apostle actually made the call). I had checked the site a half hour before he got the text and his name was still under the With Church Headquarters catigory. After he got the text, his name advanced down to Assignment Made. This is what you use to see when the call was mailed out and you would get the call letter a few days later in the mail. With the new email system, that has become simultaneous, or nearly so. At that point your Bishopric cannot see the mission they have been called to or the start date in the Missionary Recommendation section of LDS.org. The prospective missionary must login to their missionary portal to see that. Looking forward to the opening of the mission call on the iPad tonight (if he can resist the temptation of peeking before then;~)

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!