One of the more frequent questions I’ve gotten over the years is from people who want to contribute to the missionary fund of a friend or relative in another ward. They want to know how to go about helping the missionary financially. Unfortunately, up until now, their options were rather limited. But now the Church is in the process of rolling out an online donation system in the United States which will facilitate paying tithes and offerings online, but also make it easy to donate to missionaries anywhere in the world.
The LDS Church Online Donation website is easy to use, but the tricky part in donating to missionaries is that you have to know the ward or branch unit number in order to contribute money to the missionary. There are a couple of ways to get the missionary’s home ward unit number: 1) you can contact the ward clerk of the missionary’s home ward or branch and he will give you this information. Many of you will have no way to get in contact with the missionary’s home ward clerk, so you’ll have to reach out to family or friends in that unit and they will have to get the unit number for you. 2) Another option is for any priesthood leader with access to the Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders (CDOL). Priesthood leaders can log into the CDOL website and look up the unit number for any ward in the world.
Once you know the ward or branch unit number of the missionary’s home ward or branch, to give money to a missionary…
- Log in to LDS.org, under “My Account and Ward” select “Donations.”
- On the “Make a Donation” tab, in the Ward Missionary Fund drop down menu, select “Missionary in Other Ward/Branch.”
- Enter the ward or branch unit number, and click “Continue.”
- A drop down menu will then appear with the names of missionaries serving from that unit.
- Select the missionary and type in the amount and following the remaining steps and you’re all set.
I hope many of you will take advantage of this new technology to donate to the missionary funds of your friends and family members. As you do so, I know the Lord will richly bless you.