Mission Papers for missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were once a paper or PDF form known as the Checklist for Full-Time Missionary Recommendation or the Missionary Recommendation Form. It is the application missionary candidates, young and old, fill out to initiate the process of serving a mission. Though we often call it paperwork, nowadays, it is almost always filled out electronically through a web-based application known as the Missionary Online Recommendation System. If you do not have access to complete the application online, you may be able to fill out the physical paper forms. Talk to your bishop and he may be able to order the paper forms from the Church.
Digital Mission Papers – Missionary Online Recommendation System
You must get access to the online version of the mission application from your bishop. The Missionary Online Recommendation System, that’s that official name of the website for the online mission papers, can be accessed at missionaryrecommendations.churchofjesuschrist.org. In order to get past the login screen, though, your bishop must first go into the site and get the process started and grant you access. He will let you know when that is done so you can login and begin to fill out the information.
The Mission Call Process is one of the most frequent topics that people ask me about. Below is a summary and links to other articles I have written on the subject.
- Mission Call Process Overview: This article gives answers to questions about the Mission Call Process from meeting with your bishop, to submitting the mission papers / application, and then receiving the call letter.
- Mission Application Timeline: In this article, I give details about the steps involved in the mission call process with particular emphasis on when to begin, and how long to expect each step to take.
- Mission Application Form: This article talks in detail about the sections of Checklist for Full-Time Missionary Recommendation. It will give you a good idea of the information and other things you will need to do to fill out the papers.
- Missionaries Are Called by God: In this article, Elder Ronald A. Rasband explains the Mission Call Process, particularly, how missionaries are called by God through inspiration to our living prophets.
- Mission Call Letter: Two to four weeks after the Church receives you mission application, you will receive your call packet in the mail. This packet will contain your mission call letter from the prophet, as well as other materials, including a list of mission clothing and other items to bring. Read this article for more detail on the contents of the call packet.
- Latter-day Saint Mission Cost: How much does a mission cost? Missionaries pay their own expenses: $500 a month for young people from the United States (that’s $9,000 for sister missionaries who serve for 18 months, and $12,000 for men who serve two-years). Read the article for more detail.
- Day of the Week Mission Calls are Issued and Mailed Out: Future missionaries often wonder what day of the week mission calls are issued and mailed out. The answer is it depends, though the most common scenario has the call issued on a Friday and the call letter being sent out from Church headquarters on a Tuesday. Check out the article for more detail.