Summary: This article discusses the LDS missionary clothing list and other items to bring on your Mormon mission.
The General Instructions Checklist that you get in your mission call letter will tell you in more detail the clothing, luggage, and other items you will need to bring with you on your mission. There are slight variations between missions, and the letter from your mission president will advise you if that is that case. For the most part, though, the clothing, toiletries, and other items each missionary will need to bring on your mission is relatively standard. Also be advised to follow the missionary dress and grooming standards (which were updated in July 2013 to allow greater flexibility and more modern styles) when buying clothes for your mission.
|Mission Clothing List: Elders||Mission Clothing List: Sisters|
Of course you will need luggage to carry your clothes and personal belongings. Mormon missionaries are suggested to bring 3 pieces of luggage that follow these guidelines: Two large suitcases (that you could check at the airport) and one smaller bag (a carry-on). The two larger suitcases should be no larger than 62 dimensional inches (height plus width plus depth), and no heavier than 50 pounds. The smaller, carry-on bag should be no larger than 45 dimensional inches, and no heavier than 35 pounds.
For more information on what to bring to the MTC, including more details on luggage, clothing, and technology, as well as information on travel to the MTC and advice for family and friends, see the Missionaries page on the Provo MTC website.
Missionaries should bring their scriptures and they are also allowed to bring the following books, if they desire:
- True to the Faith
- Jesus the Christ, by James E. Talmage
- Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Our Search for Happiness, By M. Russell Ballard
- See the approved Missionary Reading List for more detail
What NOT to Bring on Your Mission
Do not bring the following items to the MTC or to the mission field:
- Any books not listed above
- Daily planners, including electronic planners
- Laptop or desktop computers
- Any video recording devices, or any video or DVD players
- Cell phones, pagers, e-mail devices, or unauthorized electronic equipment (if your mission uses cell phones or iPads, you will be given instructions either to purchase specific items in advance or other directions on how to get the technology that you will need.)
- Radios or clock radios
- Musical instruments
- Playing cards, games, footballs, soccer balls, or any other kind of sports or hobby equipment
- Packages for other missionaries in the MTC or in the mission field
- Weapons of any kind
For information on how much you can expect to spend on clothing and other items, see my related article: Cost To Get Ready To Go On A Mission.