Spencer W. Kimball, 12th President of the Church, once asked this of future missionaries: “Will you be a valiant and effective one or merely a set-apart missionary? This will depend on your preparation.” (from Advice to a Young Man: Now Is the Time to Prepare)
A missionary preparation class is a great way for young men and young women to further their mission prep. Missionary preparation classes are usually available from several sources:
- From your ward or stake (branch or district). If you are under 18 and would like to take a mission prep class, talk to one of your local leaders (your young men’s president, or bishop, etc.) to see if your ward or stake offers a class.
- From a Church college (BYU, etc.). If you are attending a Church-sponsored college, see about signing up for one of the mission prep classes they offer.
- From an LDS Institute of Religion: If you are attending another college, see if there is an LDS Institute of Religion nearby. They likely offer a missionary preparation class.
Mission Prep Institute Classes Open to All: Ages 18-30
According to the Church’s Institutes of Religion website, single and married young adults, postsecondary students, and all young single adults (generally 18-30 years old) are also welcome to attend Institute classes. That means that if you are a young person thinking about going on a mission in the next year or two, if none of the other sources of a mission prep class are available, you could attend a course at Institute. Institute classes are free of charge, and you can find one near you with Institute of Religion Locator. Now is a great time to sign up for a mission prep class as new classes start in January at many Institutes.
Topics Covered in the Missionary Preparation Class
Whether you take the class from your ward or through an official Institute class, your teacher will likely use the official Church Mission Prep Student Manual. Subjects covered in this official Missionary Preparation course are:
- Understanding the call to serve a mission
- Learning the gospel by study and also by faith
- Teaching about the Apostasy, the Restoration
- The importance of living prophets and latter-day scripture
- Understanding, recognizing, and teaching with the Holy Ghost
- Personal worthiness and developing Christ-like attributes
- Physical preparation and using time wisely
- The conversion process and preparing investigators for baptism
Online Mission Prep Webinar
For those of you who cannot attend a mission prep class, please check out my Mission Prep Webinars. You can watch the video presentations or download the PowerPoint slides.