The For the Strength of Youth pamphlet is a booklet for all youth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints containing a description of the Lord’s standards of behavior. It addresses the topics of dating, appropriate dress, choosing good media (TV, movies, music, internet, social media, etc.), standards of worthiness and chastity, and much more. For the Strength of Youth summarizes standards from the scriptures and from the writings and teachings of our living prophets and other leaders of the Church. These standards serve for the guidance, strength, and blessing of the youth of our Church or any youth or adults who chooses to live by these divinely inspired guidelines.
Strength of Youth Principles Prepare Missionaries Spiritually
It is especially important for young men and women who are preparing to go on a mission to be familiar with and live by these standards. Elder M. Russell Ballard, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, has said, “I also recommend that youth study and follow the guidelines in For the Strength of Youth. Missionaries need to be morally clean and spiritually ready. If they live the principles in For the Strength of Youth, they will be spiritually prepared to be great missionaries.” (New Era, March 2007, How to Prepare to Be a Good Missionary).
Below is a brief summary of the principles and standards discussed in For the Strength of Youth. You can find the complete pamphlet on the Church’s website, and you may want to check out this article I wrote about the history of the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet.
Summary of the For the Strength of Youth Principles
- Agency and Accountability: Choose righteousness and happiness, no matter what your circumstances. Take responsibility for the choices you make. Develop your abilities and talents, and use them for good. Avoid idleness and be willing to work hard.
- Gratitude: Have a spirit of gratitude in all you do and say. Thank God for your blessings, and express appreciation to others who help you.
- Education: Prepare to be an influence for good in the world. Obtain an education, and be enthusiastic about learning. Attend seminary.
- Family: Do your part to build a happy home. Honor your parents, and strengthen your relationships with your brothers and sisters.
- Friends: Choose friends who share your high standards. Treat everyone with kindness and respect. Invite friends of other faiths to Church activities. Reach out to new converts and those who are less active.
- Dress and Appearance: Dress modestly to show respect for God and yourself. Never lower your dress standards for any occasion. Do not disfigure your body with tattoos and body piercings.
- Entertainment and the Media: Choose uplifting entertainment. Avoid anything that is vulgar, immoral, violent, or pornographic in any way. Commit to keeping God’s standards.
- Music and Dancing: Listen to music that helps you draw closer to Heavenly Father. Do not listen to music that encourages immorality, glorifies violence, or uses offensive language. When dancing, avoid full body contact or suggestive movements.
- Language: Use language that uplifts, encourages, and compliments others. Use the names of God and Jesus Christ with reverence and respect. Do not use profane, vulgar, or crude language or gestures.
- Dating: Do not date until you are at least 16 years old. Date only those who have high standards. When you begin dating, go in groups or on double dates. Plan activities that help you remain close to the Spirit of the Lord.
- Sexual Purity: Keep yourself sexually pure. Do not have any sexual relations before marriage. Do not participate in talk or activities that arouse sexual feelings. Do not participate in homosexual activities. Seek help if you become a victim of rape, incest, or other sexual abuse.
- Repentance: Through the Savior’s Atonement, you can receive forgiveness and be cleansed from your sins when you repent. Confess your sins to the Lord and to those you have wronged. If the sins are serious, you also need to confess them to your bishop.
- Honesty: Be honest with yourself, others, and the Lord. Do not rationalize that dishonesty is right.
- Sabbath Day Observance: Use the Sabbath to worship the Lord, attend church, draw closer to your family, and help others. Do not seek entertainment or spend money on the Sabbath. When possible, avoid working on Sunday.
- Tithes and Offerings: Willingly pay a full tithe. Attend tithing settlement. Obey the law of the fast.
- Physical Health: Keep the Word of Wisdom. Eat nutritious food, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep. Do not use hard drugs, alcohol, coffee, tea, or tobacco products. Do not abuse prescription or over-the-counter medications.
- Service to Others: Serve others in your Church assignments and in your home, school, and community. Seek daily the guidance of the Holy Ghost to know whom to serve and how to help meet their needs.
- Go Forward with Faith: Be true to the Lord and to His Church. Regularly pray in private and read the scriptures. Keep your covenants and listen to the whisperings of the Spirit. The Lord will help you meet your trials and challenges.
I know that as you keep these standards, the Lord will bless you and strengthen you. You will keep yourself worthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost, and stay worthy to serve an honorable mission, and to have a temple marriage. By maintaining your worthiness, and listening to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, the Lord will guide you and bless you in every aspect of your life.
Church Video on Standards for Youth Dating and Maintaining Virtue
Funny Video with Captain America Enforcing Strength of Youth Standards
And this hilarious video comes from some of our Saints down under in Brisbane Australia.