Podcasts are a convenient and increasingly popular way for people to learn about many subjects, including the gospel of Jesus Christ and how to prepare for a mission. Below are several podcasts to which I subscribe and listen which may be helpful for people preparing to be a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If you know of a podcast which should be added to the list, please contact me.
- The Latter-day Saint Mission Prep podcast by Jimmy Smith. This is my podcast. The first 15 episodes are recordings of me teaching the Church’s Mission Prep class to my teenaged kids.
- The Latter-day Saint MissionCast hosted by Nick Galieti. This is an inspiring and professionally well-done podcast designed to teach and encourage young people preparing for a full-time mission.
- BYU Speeches. Speakers (including prophets, apostles, and BYU professors) are invited to speak at BYU each Tuesday and share their knowledge and experiences with the student body.
- Y Religion. This podcast features interviews of BYU religion professors and discussions their publications. I have found it to be very educational and inspirational.
- The FairMormon Podcast. This one may also be advanced but it has great talks and resources. FairMormon explains and defends the Church and provides well-documented answers to criticisms of Church doctrines, beliefs, and practices.
- LDS Perspectives Podcast. This one might be a bit advanced for some in this audience. It has episodes about Church history, doctrine, and culture featuring interviews with respected scholars and experts.
- BYU Moral and Ethical Leadership. Interviews with interesting leaders in the community and world. Produced by the BYU Management Society.